All photo's found on this blog are subject to copyright, do not copy any of these pictures!

Mar 12, 2009

A Grandma Diane

Lily and I went swimming with a friend today and besides Lily and I and Lily's friend and her friends Mom, there was one more person, a woman at the pool today. I did not know her name and she was wearing sunglasses. And I thought nothing of it when Lily kept going up to her and patting at her lap and talking to her. (Since Lily is a kidnappers delight for being so social) I also did not think much of it when our friend asked the women if she had Grand kids and she said, No but she wished she did and she has a 26 year old daughter.
Finally as my heart aches to write this... I finally caught on when Lily followed her to the other end of the pool, and I followed. As the women walked in the pool leading Lily towards me, I looked at the women and realized with her sunglasses on, her body shape, hair, and face shape resembled that of my mother. Though it hurt inside to know that it clearly was not, because my mother is crazy for Lily and would have surely made it her buisness to be giving her constant attention. It also felt so good to know that when I asked Lily if she was like Grandma she said, yes Grandma and that though I know she may forget later she still remembers my Mother.
Lily's thinking of you....
Love you and miss you so much Mom.

5 comments:

Jilly Bean said...

Wow, Jen. Thanks for sharing that. It is neat that Lily remembers her grandma and loves her. I admire how you respond to these reminders of your mom.

Lauri said...

Oh Jen that is so so neat! You just made me cry because I think that is so special that sweet little Lily remembers. That is so important and it will be so important as she gets older too that you help her to remember through stories and thoughts and pictures of Grandma Diane. That is the reason I gave you and Jamie those photo albums. My Oma passed away when I was only 6 months old and I only have maybe 3-4 pictures of her. I wish so bad that I had more memories and pictures of her. My hope is that you will fill that photo album with wonderful memories of your mommy for Lily and let her look at it and remember often. As you go through the photos with her tell her stories about the photos. She will love it and really thank you when she is old enough to understand. I love you and I think about your mommy often.

Jessie said...

Although reading this makes my heart ache too, I'm so glad to know that you see the beauty in the daily reminders of your Mom. I love you and miss you so, so terribly!

xoxo, J

Chad Martell & Teresa said...

that is so precious and sweet, thanks for sharing this post i loved reading about her experience. have a great weekend!

Kristine said...

Oh wow, Jen. That just brings tears to my eyes. I understand what you mean. Savannah talks of Grandma Wright and being in heaven. She remembers that we send her balloons on her birthday, with messages to her. It is a great way to in a way still talk with them. Savannah draws a picture on hers while chad and I write thoughts. Then everyone in the family across the country lets them go on her birthday. It is cool to know that 37 balloons are all sent up to her. anytime you need to talk, I know Chad is always willing to talk. Me too. BUt it is Chad who can totally understand how you are feeling.