All photo's found on this blog are subject to copyright, do not copy any of these pictures!

Jul 4, 2008

Tantrum City

First off they say that tantrums are good things for childhood development etc.
So we just had one of the most embarrassing tantrums today in public. We were out at the bay looking at restaurants by the barges that are suppose to set off fireworks tonight. I wanted to see if I could reserve a spot at one of these restaurants. We had a slice of Pizza we walked around and discovered a fountain that Lily wanted to play in, I gave her all of my pennies to throw into it and also picked a lot of leaves for her to throw in also. I realized that it was time to go due to the fact that our parking meter was almost up and also because I wanted to step into another restaurant to check it out. Lily flipped she obviously wanted to play in the fountain all day. By flipped I mean crying, flailing, kicking, biting, but the worst of these is slamming her head into objects and the ground as I try to protect her on top of trying to take her away from I am sure her only pleasure in life at the time oh and not to mention taking along a stroller also. When I finally felt she had gathered herself a bit I went into the restaurant that seemed pretty fancy... right as I was asking about reservations she flipped out again and slammed her head against the tile hostess desk so more screaming came.... oh and also a reminder to myself not to wear a v-neck shirt as she is flipping out I am sure she exposed my bra a bit.
Anyways some how I strapped her into the stroller (she banged her head on the side after she was in )still throwing her tantrum made it to the car in time (the meter) and strapped her into her seat still throwing a tantrum. Now here I am reading up on tantrums online and the first things I read all have to do with children that are five and six and I can't help but think what the hell (pardon the language) are you kidding me 5 years more to go of tantrums and I actually think I want another child. I think that those with out children or even with (sitting in the restaurant) think that it could be made easier... they would do this and this in this situation and that in this situation. And I know they are looking at me sometimes and think she must be tired or something because why is she not doing anything about her child. But they don't realize or were not around to see how much you do handle... so many situations in an hour period if not a 5 minute period of time and that sometimes it gets to a point where some little girl turns into something much, much bigger (LiLZillA!!) and all you can do is try to get her somewhere to throw her fit where she won't hurt others or herself. You really can't get angry at your child about a fit until it is over and by then hopefully you won't be angry and hopefully she will listen and remember what happened. I think what made this fit hard also is because I have decided that I need to stop giving her things to shut her up. (At the fountain an ice cream cone definitely came to mind.) Oh please wish me luck and less embarrassment in this child adventure.... also any advice I will surely take, like she may not have tantrums when she is 5 and 6 years old.

2 comments:

jamie said...

I have no advice to stop tantrums. All I can say is try not to feel embarassed. This happens to me ALL THE TIME. Little kids don't know how to control their feelings, hence the freak out. With Alex, most of the time nothing stops it, I just need to let it run it's course. The worst ones are when it looks like you're trying to kidnap the child. "NO! I want my Daddy! GO AWAY! DON'T TOUCH ME!" Now THAT's embarassing!

Amie said...

Yeah, or when they've been freaking out during your entire shopping trip, and then when you get to the car, there's a cop parked 2 spots away, watching your every move with your child, who is still freaking out, only now won't bend at the waist, so now you're trying to shove them into their carseat while trying not to look like you're shoving your kid into their carseat. Yeah, happened at the Chipping's Reams with Chelsea. REally embarassing.

But you just deal with it and keep moving on. I like to just ignore it (sometimes) and let them get all worn out and then they get bored and fall asleep. But that's when their rooms are nearby and I just let them tough it out there.

It's tough though. Every kid is different.

Good Luck to ya! And all Mom's everywhere (while I'm at it).